Chestnut Walk Goods Yard
For far to many years I have promised myself a model railway layout to 'play trains' on "when I got a roundtuit". We moved here in 2008 by about 2014 the loft was suitably fitted out and insulated to build it in. Much time was spent planning and drawing various designs in Templot but something always got in the way of actually starting!
Well these days I cannot get into the loft easily so that grand design is now out of the question. However, my office cum workshop, as pointed out by my very supportive wife, has room for at least a reasonable sized shunting layout that would fit into the window and under my book shelves. Granted it would be very unlikely that the Armstrong or La France would be able to negotiate the rather right curves but I have plenty of wagons, an 0-4-2t operable and a few more small engines in the 'to do' cupboard. Additionally Nick Dunhill is to complete the 1501st for me since my eyesight and dexterity are very variable these days. I look forward to receiving it back in due course after his and Warren's ministrations.
So I investigated a few things and yesterday (11/12/18) ordered the custom baseboard units from Grainger & Hodder and am now awaiting the last quote for building the track work before choosing one.
Here is the plan:
Turnouts range from 1:5 to 1:10, both the double slips are 1:6. There are three low relief warehouses to fit on the short side against a wall, the rest will get whatever scenic treatment seems appropriate without impeding the light excessively.
The cut out in the lower board is to allow the cupboard door under my machine bench to open. It occurred to me other day that this could also be a place for a removable cassette on a curve to send goods trains to the rest of the rail network. I will investigate that more once the boards are made up and in place.
The baseboards will have a rail top height of about 850mm from floor level, a good height to work from while seated. In the meantime work continues on completing the two and three plank wagons.
The space for this railway to be built in is a large, 1930s window embrasure some 10' across and under my book shelves. There will of course need to be some changes made but here is the space before starting any work.
I had some time ago moved my workbench to the centre of the room facing the window. Now I must alter the book shelves since the top of the boards will come to about where the lower shelf now sits.
All of the track work has now been commissioned from Stephen Freeman (Borgrail) and will be built to 31.5mm gauge, ply timbering and chairs from various sources to get the best possible approximation of Great Western practice as possible. Scenics will probably be somewhat limited but enough to indicate that Chestnut Walk Goods Yard exists somewhere in the Midlands, near Birmingham.
Now to start finding new homes for all the stuff that is currently in the way of new building, though I suspect it will all eventually end up under the baseboards. It is my intention to lay the track without cutting it for any baseboard joints but whoever has to remove it in due course should have no difficulty in doing that to separate the five boards the railway will sit on.
Next job is to get a full sized plan printed on a roll printer ready to lay on the boards and start planning the electrics before the track is glued to the foam underlay, which will be glued down to the boards using latex. An idea I got from Brian Lewis to avoid noises that are not railway like. However, I want to keep the clickety-click of rail joints to complement the DCC sounds that will accompany running.
I have now finalized how the points will be operated. Mega Points control panels using servos, detection, relays and frog juicers for the crossing Vee polarity. The power supply and servos have arrived and I shall collect the rest (except the mimic panel front being made) at the Bristol show 27/1/18.
I shall then be able to carry on sorting out the control panel construction and testing until the baseboard kits arrive.
The plan is also at the printers now and they will also produce a mirror image print to fix under the baseboards, I suspect I shall have to cut the one up for each baseboard and fix that to the underside of the top before assembling them.
The printer produced two copies for me, one in mirror image for the underside and each print in two sections. All I need do now is cut out each baseboard along the guide lines printed in Templot and glue it to the underside of the top once the baseboards arrive, this is due to happen week commencing 11th February 2019.
Mega Points laser cut mounts for the servos, simple and effective and easy to put together once I have found some alphatic glue to assemble them they simply screw to the underside of the baseboard.
Most of the control boards needed to wire up the mimic panel. servos and their associated switches, which will be push buttons.
The simplest way to isolate the crossing Vees for the double slips I am told by David at Mega Points is to use a frog juicer for each slip so there they are ready to be installed in the control panel.
Next up, the baseboards so watch this space.
TO BE CONTINUED.